Sunday, January 3, 2010

Jon T. Howard - North Atlantic Gyre Blog #12


Well this is my last Blog before I depart for the US Virgin Islands tomorrow morning. My flight out of LAX leaves at 6 am which means I have to get to the airport around 4 am due to the recent increase of extra security measures. I head to Miami and then catch a flight to the Virgin Islands. The last few days have been a real whirlwind to say the least. Between doctors, getting equipment, a new super short haircut and a ton of laundry I have been very busy. Most of it has been exciting but unfortunately my bulldog Sassy who was a few months shy of 14 had to be put to sleep yesterday. She had been suffering with a bunch of ailments over the last year and had really taken a turn for the worst in December. After consulting with her vet we all felt like it was time because her quality of life had deteriorated so bad and there wasn't anything the vet could do to help her anymore. RIP Sassy... you were an amazingly gentle, loving animal and a true friend for over 13 years and will truly be missed. It was hard to get back on track after yesterday's loss but I spent today hanging with my son, watching some football and picking up a few last minute items like DVC tapes, an extra set of Martin guitar strings and some snacks. I also put together a complete list of clothes and gear I am taking which I will post during my layover in Miami. Here are a few essentials - I am bringing 2 video cameras(1 HD) and my new Flip HD. Thank you Witz Cases for the helping me protect all my electronics. Besides that I am bringing an old fashion underwater film camera and a digital camera. Should inspiration strike, I am bringing my Little Martin LXM guitar to play and write songs on while I am out in the big blue ocean. I also have a huge variety of music on my iPod shuffles and Zune. They recommended bringing DVD's so I packed season 2&3 of Curb Your Enthusiasm plus some live music DVD's of Dave Mathews, Bob Marley, and Bluesman John Hammond. I have some great dark chocolate from Trader Joes and a mixed variety of Guayaki Yerba Matte, Starbucks Via ready brew and Yogi Teas (my favorite is Classic Indian Spice). Other than all of that I want to thank Joey Mendelsohn, the CEO of EcoUsable for making all of this possible and seeing the importance of this voyage. I also want to thank Body Glove, Hybrid Lights, and Witz Cases for their generous support of me on this mission. Godspeed...

No comments:

Post a Comment